The feeling of a head torch trail run in the woods is unique. The night-time adds a whole new dimension to trail running: it is both wild and peaceful at the same time.
Your senses become razor sharp and you become aware of your heart beat pounding in your chest. You may hear the hoot or screech of an owl, or the rustling of woodland animals in the undergrowth. In the darkness of the woodland canopy the light from your head torch will be reflected back by the eyes of deer and other creatures peering out from the safety of the deep forest.
Our Moon Runner head torch races take place in the winter months when a crisp ground frost is common. Beams of moonlight breaking through the trees can create a magical atmosphere while you run along the sparkling surface. You can experience a definite sense of isolation and remoteness, but with that come feelings of exhilaration as your feet react to changing terrain, and excitement as your senses adapt to the different sights and sounds in the darkness.
Chopwell Woodland Park is a 360-hectare mixed woodland on the fringe of Gateshead. Miles of woodland paths and old colliery railway tracks make it very popular with walkers and cyclists. The trails criss-cross through the woodland, offering glimpses of the area’s industrial past including restored railway trucks that would have carried coal from the nearby collieries. The Woodland Park is great for trail running and enjoying the local wildlife. If you’re lucky you may spot one of the deer, badgers, red kites and squirrels.
We are an eco-friendly company and, on that basis, we don’t use disposable plastic cups and don’t offer T shirts or medals. What we do guarantee is a first class race experience where you can make memories to last a lifetime! We are actively encouraging participants to give something back to the environment which is why your race goodies are a little bit different. We are including a packet of mixed wild flower seeds for you to plant which will encourage bees and other pollinators to visit your garden which is great for the environment.
Your entry and what’s included £20.00 affiliated-£22 non affiliated
- a Branded event Mug
- free downloadable event pictures.
- a packet of Wild flower seeds.
- Cash prizes for the top 3 male and female finishers
- Head torch prizes from Ledlenser, Run Unlimited, Fit Performance and sports Injury Clinic and Yamatune.
- Free future race places for all category winners
Venue: Chopwell Woods, Gateshead, NE39 1LT
Start Time: 6pm
The wood is not signposted until the entrance in the village of High Spen (B6315). Access to the B6315 from the south is off the A694 at Rowlands Gill or from the north at the A695 at Greenside.
The race starts and finishes at the Pines which is near to the main car park. The route follows well-marked footpaths/forest trails/bridleway with occasional views of woodland sculptures.
- Terrain conditions – a mixture of hard packed gravel tracks, single twisting dirt tracks and occasional muddy bridleway.
- Ideal for trail novices and more experienced trail runners.
- The route will be fully waymarked.
- There will be a race HQ with toilets.
- There are spaces for approx. 200 cars therefore participants are encouraged to car share when possible.
- There will be medical support from Rapid Reaction NE Ltd who will be on the course throughout the event.
- Water/food and fruit available at the start and finish area.
- Weather – at this time of year it is not unusual for the temperature to fall below freezing therefore we suggest bringing with you a hat, gloves and warm jacket so that you can enjoy your cuppa and Pizza at the end from our catering partner.