About the location.
With full racing unable to return to Forestry England locations due to continuing coronavirus restrictions, we are delighted to be hosting a series of virtual races in two of their forests in the North East of England.
First up is a 5k ,10k or childrens 2k virtual trail run in Chopwell Woodland Park, an easily accessible, 360-hectare mixed woodland on the fringe of Gateshead, near Newcastle. Miles of woodland paths and old colliery railway tracks make it very popular with walkers and cyclists. The undulating and rewarding trails criss-cross through the woodland, offering glimpses of the area’s industrial past including restored railway trucks that would have carried coal from the nearby collieries. The Woodland Park is great for trail running and enjoying the local wildlife. If you’re lucky you may spot one of the deer, badgers, red kites and squirrels.
How it will work.
Choose your distance, enter and pay your fee, then at anytime during December complete your run, you can complete the loop as many times as you like in December and just upload the fastest time. If you are one of the front runners we may ask to see proof of your time so please don’t be offended if we ask to see your Strava or Garmin data. We will publish a weekly leader board so you know what times you have to beat, and we would encourage you to join the Greener Miles Strava group so that you can see who you are racing against.
As with lots of our events we like to run photograph competitions, and as it’s December it seems a shame not to have Xmas related photo competition, so produce your best costume or xmas themed pictures to be in with a chance. Each week will choose our favourite ten pictures and put them to a public, Greener Miles Running community vote to see which are chosen to receive a spot prize.
To add your time, simply log on to SiEntries and click on edit my entry, from here you will be able to add your time. Remember to click on the update button!
- Entry fees and what’s included– £10 for the adults 5k and 10k options, £50 for a team of 6, £5 for the children’s 2k. Every participant will receive an eco-friendly natural wooden medal and a packet of wildflower seeds
- Register now and race the new Chopwell Woods dedicated and well-marked running route at any time of your choosing during December 2020.
- There is a team option for mixed teams of 6, just choose your team captain, enter the names on SiEntries then update the times as you all complete the course.
- Please follow the latest UK wide and locally enforced coronavirus guidance when doing your run.
- Do one lap for 5k or two laps for the 10k (you may enter one or both). Run the route as many times as you like throughout December and just submit your fastest time.
- The route is ideal for trail novices and more experienced trail runners alike. It follows well-marked footpaths/forest trails/bridleway and starts and finishes just north of the car park. A full route guide and gpx file will be sent to all entrants
- Track your run and upload the results to the SiEntries event portal, by simply logging in to your account and selecting the edit my entry function.
- You can record your effort on Strava/Garmin/Suunto etc and on your Phone or Watch, all we ask is that you use elapsed time.
- Prizes for the fastest man and lady over 5k and 10k, and fastest mixed team of 6.
- Complete your run in festive costume, then send us some pictures to be in with a chance of winning our weekly photo competition.
- We are an eco-friendly company, and, on that basis, we don’t offer plastic race T shirts and only use non waste, recyclable medals. We are actively encouraging participants to give something back to the environment which is why your race goodies are a little bit different. We are including a packet of mixed wildflower seeds or small tree for you to plant which will encourage bees and other pollinators to visit your garden which is great for the environment.
- As we can’t collect pre-loved running kit at the event, we have arranged a drop off point at Run Unlimited in Prudhoe, so when you are next in the shop getting some new jazzy kit and top running advice, just pop your pre-loved stuff into the bin that they have provided, we will make sure it gets to one of the worthy causes which we are currently supporting.
Venue: Chopwell Woods, Gateshead, NE39 1LT
Start: 1st December 2020 06.00 am – Finish: 31st December 18.00
Directions: the wood is not signposted until the entrance in the village of High Spen (B6315). Access to the B6315 from the south is off the A694 at Rowlands Gill or from the north at the A695 at Greenside. The turning into the woods is opposite Woodland Equestrian and Beat n Track Cafe