Our Moon Runner series offers participants the opportunity to run in beautiful locations illuminated (weather permitting) by the moon and stars. The race route will be fully way marked with reflective markers and signs, marshalled along the whole course and in places have twinkling lights to assist you find your way. These events are suitable for trail running and head torch novices as there are no cut off times, but are also challenging enough for more experienced runners who want to give themselves a good test.
What’s it like running through the woods at night?
The feeling of a head torch trail run in the woods is unique. The night-time adds a whole new dimension to trail running: it is both wild and peaceful at the same time.
Your senses become razor sharp and you become aware of your heart beat pounding in your chest. You may hear the hoot or screech of an owl, or the rustling of woodland animals in the undergrowth. In the darkness of the woodland canopy the light from your head torch will be reflected back by the eyes of deer and other creatures peering out from the safety of the deep forest.
Our Moon Runner head torch races take place in the winter months when a crisp ground frost is common. Beams of moonlight breaking through the trees can create a magical atmosphere while you run along the sparkling surface. You can experience a definite sense of isolation and remoteness, but with that come feelings of exhilaration as your feet react to changing terrain, and excitement as your senses adapt to the different sights and sounds in the darkness.
Your entry and what’s included £20.00 affiliated-£22 non affiliated
- a Branded hot drink mug
- free downloadable event pictures , printable event logo and certificate
- a packet of Wild flower seeds.
- Cash prizes for the top 3 males and females
- Prizes from Ledlenser
- Free future race places for all category winners
- Venue: Hamsterley Forest Park, Bishop Auckland DL13 3QH
- Start Time: 6pm
- Registration: 4-5.30pm
Hamsterley Forest is the largest forest in County Durham and covers 4900 square acres.
The Forest is great for trail running and enjoying the local wildlife, if you’re lucky you may spot one of the Deer, Badgers or Squirrels. Starting and finishing at the Café car park which is near to the main car park. The route follows well marked footpaths, forest trails and woodland tracks.
We are an eco-friendly company and, on that basis, we don’t use disposable plastic cups and don’t offer T shirts as standard – many go to waste after events. We are actively encouraging participants to give something back to the environment which is why your race goodies are a little bit different. We are including a packet of mixed wild flower seeds for you to plant which will encourage bees and other pollinators to visit your garden which is great for the environment.
Terrain conditions – a mixture of hard packed gravel tracks, single twisting dirt tracks and occasional muddy bridleway.
- Ideal for trail novices and more experienced trail runners.
- The route will be fully waymarked.
- There will be a race HQ with toilets.
- There are plenty of car parking spaces but participants are encouraged to car share when possible. Discounted parking charges apply.
- There will be medical support from Rapid Reaction NE Ltd who will be on the course throughout the event.
- Water/food at the start and finish area
- Weather – at this time of year it is not unusual for the temperature to fall below freezing therefore we suggest bringing with you a hat, gloves and warm jacket so that you can enjoy your soup and roll at the end.